- sun-dried brick made of clay and straw, in common use in countries having little rainfall.
- a yellow silt or clay, deposited by rivers, used to make bricks.
- a building constructed of adobe.
- a dark, heavy soil, containing clay.
- a sun-dried brick used for building
- (as modifier)an adobe house
- a building constructed of such bricks
- the clayey material from which such bricks are made
1739, American English, from Spanish adobe, from oral form of Arabic al-tob “the brick,” from Coptic tube “brick,” a word found in hieroglyphics.