- the transitional period between puberty and adulthood in human development, extending mainly over the teen years and terminating legally when the age of majority is reached; youth.
- the process or state of growing to maturity.
- a period or stage of development, as of a society, preceding maturity.
- the period in human development that occurs between the beginning of puberty and adulthood
“age following childhood” (especially the period from the 15th to the 21st year), early 15c., from Middle French adolescence (14c.), from Latin adolescentia “youth,” noun of state from adolescentem (see adolescent).
- The period of physical and psychological development from the onset of puberty to complete growth and maturity.
- The period of physical and psychological development from puberty to the onset of adulthood.