- having attained full size and strength; grown up; mature: an adult person, animal, or plant.
- of, relating to, or befitting adults.
- intended for adults; not suitable for children: adult entertainment.
- a person who is fully grown or developed or of age.
- a full-grown animal or plant.
- a person who has attained the age of maturity as specified by law.
- having reached maturity; fully developed
- of or intended for mature peopleadult education
- regarded as suitable only for adults, because of being pornographicadult films and magazines
- a person who has attained maturity; a grownup
- a mature fully grown animal or plant
- law a person who has attained the age of legal majority (18 years for most purposes)Compare infant
1530s (but not common until mid-17c.), from Latin adultus “grown up, mature, adult, ripe,” past participle of adolescere “grow up, mature” (see adolescent). As a euphemism for “pornographic,” it dates to 1958 and does no honor to the word.
“adult person,” 1650s, from adult (adj.).
- One who has attained maturity or legal age.
- A fully grown, mature organism.
- Fully developed and mature.