- of, giving, or containing advice: an advisory letter from a stockbroker.
- having the power or duty to advise: an advisory council.
noun, plural ad·vi·so·ries.
- a report on existing or predicted conditions, often with advice for dealing with them: an investment advisory.
- an announcement or bulletin that serves to advise and usually warn the public, as of some potential hazard: a health advisory; a travelers’ advisory.
- an announcement from the U.S. National Weather Service to keep the public informed about the progress of a potentially dangerous weather condition: hurricane advisory; tornado advisory.Compare warning(def 3), watch(def 20).
- giving advice; empowered to make recommendationsan advisory body
noun plural -ries
- a statement issued to give advice, recommendations, or a warninga travel advisory
- a person or organization with an advisory functionthe Prime Minister’s media advisory