- betrothed; engaged.
verb (used with object), af·fi·anced, af·fi·anc·ing.
- to pledge by promise of marriage; betroth.
- a pledging of faith, as a marriage contract.
- trust; confidence; reliance.
- (tr) to bind (a person or oneself) in a promise of marriage; betroth
- archaic a solemn pledge, esp a marriage contract
1520s, “to promise,” from Old French afiancier “to pledge, promise, give one’s word,” from afiance (n.) “confidence, trust,” from afier “to trust,” from Late Latin affidare, from ad- “to” (see ad-) + fidare “to trust,” from fidus (see affidavit). From mid-16c. especially “to promise in marriage.” Related: Affianced; affiancing.