- abundance of money, property, and other material goods; riches; wealth.
- an abundant supply, as of thoughts or words; profusion.
- a flowing to or toward; afflux.
- an abundant supply of money, goods, or property; wealth
- rare abundance or profusion
mid-14c., “a plentiful flowing, an abundance,” from Old French affluence, from Latin affluentia “a flowing to,” figuratively “affluence, abundance,” noun of state from affluentem (nominative affluens) “flowing toward, abounding, rich, copious” (see affluent). Sense of “wealth” attested from c.1600, from notion of “a plentiful flow” (of the gifts of fortune).