- floating or borne on the water; in a floating condition: The ship was set afloat.
- on board a ship, boat, raft, etc.; at sea: cargo afloat and ashore.
- covered with water; flooded; awash: The main deck was afloat.
- moving without being guided or controlled; drifting.
- passing from place to place; in circulation: A rumor is afloat.
- free of major trouble, especially financially solvent: to keep a venture afloat.
adjective, adverb (postpositive)
- aboard ship; at sea
- covered with water; flooded
- aimlessly driftingafloat in a sea of indecision
- in circulation; afootnasty rumours were afloat
- free of debt; solvent