- of or relating to Afro-Americans or to black traditions, culture, etc.: Afro societies; Afro hair styles.
noun, plural Af·ros.
- a hair style originating with black persons, in which the hair is allowed to grow naturally and to acquire a bushy appearance.
- a combining form of Africa: Afro-American; Afro-Asiatic.
noun plural -ros
- a hairstyle in which the hair is shaped into a wide frizzy bush
- indicating Africa or AfricanAfro-Asiatic
“full, bushy hairstyle as worn by some blacks,” 1938, from Afro-. As a general adjective for black styles of clothing, music, etc., it is attested from 1966.
word-forming element meaning “African,” from Latin Afr-, stem of Afer, Afri “African” (see Africa), or directly from African.