- any fungus of the family Agaricaceae, including several common edible mushrooms.
- any saprotrophic basidiomycetous fungus of the family Agaricaceae, having gills on the underside of the cap. The group includes the edible mushrooms and poisonous forms such as the fly agaric
- the dried spore-producing bodies of certain fungi, esp Polyphorus officinalis (or Boletus laricis), formerly used in medicine
- Any of various mushrooms of the genera Agaricus, Fomes, or related genera, having large umbrellalike caps with numerous gills beneath.
- The dried fruiting body of certain fungi of the genus Fomes, formerly used to inhibit the production of sweat.