- Civil Engineering. an airtight chamber permitting passage to or from a space, as in a caisson, in which the air is kept under pressure.
- the impedance in the functioning of a pump or a system of piping caused by the presence of an air bubble; vapor lock.
verb (used with object)
- to place in or confine to an air lock: to air-lock divers before they descend.
- a bubble in a pipe causing an obstruction or stoppage to the flow
- an airtight chamber with regulated air pressure used to gain access to a space that has air under pressure