- the act of alleging; affirmation.
- an assertion made with little or no proof.
- an assertion made by a party in a legal proceeding, which the party then undertakes to prove.
- a statement offered as a plea, excuse, or justification.
- the act of alleging
- an unproved statement or assertion, esp one in an accusation
early 15c., “action of alleging,” from Middle French allégation, from Latin allegationem (nominative allegatio) “a sending, despatching,” noun of action from past participle stem of allegare (see allege).