- Anatomy, Zoology. of or relating to an alveolus or to alveoli.
- Phonetics. articulated with the tongue touching or close to the alveolar ridge, as English t, d, n; gingival.
- Phonetics. an alveolar sound.
- anatomy of, relating to, or resembling an alveolus
- denoting the part of the jawbone containing the roots of the teeth
- (of a consonant) articulated with the tongue in contact with the projecting part of the jawbone immediately behind the upper teeth
- an alveolar consonant, such as the speech sounds written t, d, and s in English
“pertaining to alveoli,” 1799, from Modern Latin alveolus “socket of a tooth” (see alveolus).
- Relating to an alveolus.