- a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons.Compare professional.
- an athlete who has never competed for payment or for a monetary prize.
- a person inexperienced or unskilled in a particular activity: Hunting lions is not for amateurs.
- a person who admires something; devotee; fan: an amateur of the cinema.
- characteristic of or engaged in by an amateur; nonprofessional: an amateur painter; amateur tennis.
- a person who engages in an activity, esp a sport, as a pastime rather than professionally or for gain
- an athlete or sportsman
- a person unskilled in or having only a superficial knowledge of a subject or activity
- a person who is fond of or admires something
- (modifier) consisting of or for amateursan amateur event
- amateurish; not professional or expertan amateur approach
1784, “one who has a taste for (something),” from French amateur “lover of,” from Latin amatorem (nominative amator) “lover,” agent noun from amatus, past participle of amare “to love” (see Amy). Meaning “dabbler” (as opposed to professional) is from 1786. As an adjective, by 1838.