- of the surrounding area or environment: The tape recorder picked up too many ambient noises. The temperature in the display case was 20° lower than the ambient temperature.
- completely surrounding; encompassing: the ambient air.
- creating a certain reaction or mood, often a subconscious one, by being wherever people tend to be: ambient advertising on a shopping cart.
- pertaining to or noting sounds that create a peaceful and relaxed atmosphere.
- pertaining to or noting close and constant social contact and communication fostered by the Internet or the use of digital devices: social media sites that enable ambient intimacy and awareness.
- of or relating to the immediate surroundingsthe ambient temperature was 15°C
- creating a relaxing atmosphereambient music
- informal ambient music
1590s, “surrounding, encircling,” from Latin ambientem (nominative ambiens) “going round,” present participle of ambire “to go around,” from amb- “around” (see ambi-) + ire “go” (see ion). The ground sense of “revolving” led to “encircling, lying all around.”
- Surrounding; encircling.