- the act of amending or the state of being amended.
- an alteration of or addition to a motion, bill, constitution, etc.
- a change made by correction, addition, or deletion: The editors made few amendments to the manuscript.
- Horticulture. a soil-conditioning substance that promotes plant growth indirectly by improving such soil qualities as porosity, moisture retention, and pH balance.
- the act of amending; correction
- an addition, alteration, or improvement to a motion, document, etc
early 13c., “betterment, improvement;” c.1300, of persons, “correction, reformation,” from Old French amendment, from amender (see amend). Sense expanded to include “correction of error in a legal process” (c.1600) and “alteration of a writ or bill” to remove its faults (1690s).