- having or showing pleasant, good-natured personal qualities; affable: an amiable disposition.
- friendly; sociable: an amiable greeting; an amiable gathering.
- agreeable; willing to accept the wishes, decisions, or suggestions of another or others.
- Obsolete. lovable or lovely.
- having or displaying a pleasant or agreeable nature; friendly
mid-14c., from Old French amiable, from Late Latin amicabilis “friendly,” from amicus “friend,” related to amare “to love” (see Amy). The form confused in Old French with amable “lovable,” from Latin amare. Reborrowed later in proper Latin form as amicable.