adjective, am·pler, am·plest.
- fully sufficient or more than adequate for the purpose or needs; plentiful; enough: an ample supply of water; ample time to finish.
- of sufficient or abundant measure; liberal; copious: an ample reward.
- of adequate or more than adequate extent, size, or amount; large; spacious; roomy: ample storage space.
- more than sufficient; abundantan ample helping
- large in size, extent, or amountof ample proportions
mid-15c., from Middle French ample, from Latin amplus “large, spacious,” related to ampla “handle, grip.”