- Biochemistry. a waxy, translucent substance, composed primarily of protein fibers, that is deposited in various organs of animals in certain diseases.
- a nonnitrogenous food consisting especially of starch.
- Also am·y·loi·dal. of, resembling, or containing amylum.
- pathol a complex protein resembling starch, deposited in tissues in some degenerative diseases
- any substance resembling starch
- A starchlike substance.
- A hard, waxy deposit consisting of protein and polysaccharides resulting from the degeneration of tissue.
- A hard waxy substance consisting of protein and polysaccharides that results from the degeneration of tissue and is deposited in organs or tissues of the body in various chronic diseases.