- of, pertaining to, involving, or near the anus.
- of, relating to, or near the anus
- relating to a stage of psychosexual development during which the child’s interest is concentrated on the anal region and excremental functions
- designating personality traits in the adult, such as orderliness, meanness, stubbornness, etc, due to fixation at the anal stage of developmentCompare genital (def. 2), oral (def. 7), phallic (def. 2)
1769, from Modern Latin analis “of the anus;” see anus. Anal-retentive first attested 1957, in psychological jargon. Anal sex attested as such from 1966.
- Of, relating to, or near the anus.
- Of or relating to the second stage of psychosexual development in psychoanalytic theory, during which gratification is derived from sensations associated with the anus.
- Relating to or being personality traits that originated during toilet training and are distinguished as anal-expulsive or anal-retentive.
- The opening at the lower end of the digestive tract through which solid waste is excreted.