- restoring; invigorating; giving strength after disease.
- awakening, especially from drug stupor.
- a pharmacological substance that stimulates the central nervous system and also acts as an anticonvulsant.
- (of a drug, etc) stimulating the central nervous system
- any drug, such as doxapram, that stimulates the central nervous system
- (formerly) a restorative remedy or drug
1660s, “restorative, strengthening” (in medicine), from Greek analeptikos “restorative,” from analambanein “to receive, take up in one’s hands” (see analemma). Related: Analeptical (1610s).
- Restorative or stimulating, as a drug or medication.
- A medication used as a central nervous system stimulant.