- a remedy that relieves or allays pain.
- of, relating to, or causing analgesia, or the relief of pain.
- of or causing analgesia
- a substance that produces analgesia
“tending to remove pain,” 1848, from analgesia + -ic. Alternative form analgetic is preferred by linguistic purists but is less common in use. The noun meaning “an analgesic preparation” recorded by 1860.
- A medication capable of reducing or eliminating pain.analgetic
- Characterized by analgesia.
- A drug used to eliminate pain; a painkiller. Aspirin and acetaminophen are analgesics.
A drug, such as aspirin, that relieves pain in the body.