- an automaton in the form of a human being.
- (in science fiction) a robot resembling a human being
- resembling a human being
- trademark a software package for smartphones, including many application programs
- a smartphone that uses this software
“automaton resembling a human being,” 1842, from Modern Latin androides (itself attested as a Latin word in English from 1727), from Greek andro- “human” (see andro-) + eides “form, shape.” Greek androdes meant “like a man, manly;” cf. also Greek andrias “image of a man, statue.” Listed as “rare” in OED 1st edition (1879), popularized from c.1951 by science fiction writers.
- Possessing human features and form.