noun (used with a plural verb)
- a record of events, especially a yearly record, usually in chronological order.
- historical records generally: the annals of war.
- a periodical publication containing the formal reports of an organization or learned field.
- a record of events of a particular year: an annal of the year 753.
- a single record or entry in a historical chronicle: A later scribe has added to the annal.
- one of the periodic formal reports of an organization or learned field: The proceedings will be published as an Annal of the Academy.
- yearly records of events, generally in chronological order
- history or records of history in general
- regular reports of the work of a society, learned body, etc
- the recorded events of one yearSee also annals
1560s, from Latin annales libri “chronicles,” literally “yearlies, yearly books,” noun use of plural of annalis “pertaining to a year,” from annus “year” (see annual (adj.)).
rare singular of annals (q.v.).