noun, plural an·ni·ver·sa·ries.
- the yearly recurrence of the date of a past event: the tenth anniversary of their marriage.
- the celebration or commemoration of such a date.
- wedding anniversary.
- returning or recurring each year; annual.
- pertaining to an anniversary: an anniversary gift. Abbreviation: anniv.
noun plural -ries
- the date on which an event occurred in some previous yeara wedding anniversary
- the celebration of this
- of or relating to an anniversary
- recurring every year, esp on the same date
early 13c., originally especially of the day of a person’s death, from Medieval Latin anniversarium, from Latin anniversarius (adj.) “returning annually,” from annus (genitive anni) “year” (see annual (adj.)) + versus, past participle of vertere “to turn” (see versus). The adjective came to be used as a noun in Church Latin as anniversaria (dies) in reference to saints’ days. An Old English word for “anniversary” (n.) was mynddæg, literally “mind-day.”