- being one more or more of the same; further; additional: another piece of cake.
- different; distinct; of a different period, place, or kind: at another time; another man.
- very similar to; of the same kind or category as: What we need today is another Thomas Jefferson.
- one more; an additional one: That first hot dog tasted so good I’d like another.
- a different one; something different: going from one house to another.
- one like the first: one copy for her and another for him.
- a person other than oneself or the one specified: He told her he loved another.
- one more; an addedanother chance
- (as pronoun)help yourself to another
- a different; alternativeanother era from ours
- (as pronoun)to try one path, then another
- a different example of the same sortanother Beethoven
- (as pronoun)we got rid of one loafer, but I think this new man’s another
- another place the other House of Parliament (used in the House of Commons to refer to the House of Lords and vice versa)
In addition to the idiom beginning with another
- another county heard from
- dance to another tune
- have another guess coming
- horse of a different (another) color
- one good turn deserves another
- one man’s meat is another man’s poison
- one way or another
- sing a different (another) tune
- tomorrow is another day
- wear another hat