- of or belonging to the period before the Flood. Gen. 7, 8.
- very old, old-fashioned, or out of date; antiquated; primitive: antediluvian ideas.
- a person who lived before the Flood.
- a very old or old-fashioned person or thing.
- belonging to the ages before the biblical Flood (Genesis 7, 8)
- old-fashioned or antiquated
- an antediluvian person or thing
“before Noah’s flood,” 1640s, formed from Latin ante- “before” (see ante) + diluvium “a flood” (see deluge (n.)). Coined by English physician Sir Thomas Browne (1605-1682). As a noun meaning “person who lived before the Flood,” from 1680s.