- (initial capital letter) a member of the Communist Party or movement.
- an advocate of .
- a person who is regarded as supporting politically leftist or subversive causes.
- (usually initial capital letter) a Communard.
- (initial capital letter) of or relating to the Communist Party or to Communism.
- pertaining to communists or .
- a person who is opposed to Communisma staunch anti-Communist
- opposed to Communisma big anti-Communist demonstration
- a supporter of any form of communism
- (often capital) a supporter of Communism or a Communist movement or state
- (often capital) a member of a Communist party
- (often capital) US any person holding left-wing views, esp when considered subversive
- a person who practises communal living; communalist
- another name for
- of, characterized by, favouring, or relating to communism; communistic
1919, from+ .
1841, as both a noun and adjective, from French communiste (see ). First attested in writing by John Goodwin Barmby (1820-1881), British Owenite and utopian socialist who founded the London Communist Propaganda Society in 1841. Main modern sense emerged after publication of Communist Manifesto (“Manifest der Kommunistischen Partei”) in 1848. Shortened form Commie attested from 1940. Related: Communistic.
A supporter of.