- expressive of or appealing to a sentimental song., especially the tender emotions and feelings, as love, pity, or nostalgia:
- pertaining to or dependent on We kept the old photograph for purely sentimental reasons.:
- weakly emotional; mawkishly susceptible or tender: the sentimental Victorians.
- characterized by or showing or refined feeling.
- tending to indulge the emotions excessively
- making a direct appeal to the emotions, esp to romantic feelings
- relating to or characterized by sentiment
1749, “pertaining to or characterized by sentiment,” from sentimentalist). Related: Sentimentally.+ (1). At first without pejorative connotations; meaning “having too much sentiment, apt to be swayed by prejudice” had emerged by 1793 (implied in