- pertaining to or affecting .
- free from or cleaned of germs and other microorganisms.
- exceptionally clean or neat.
- free of contamination or pollution.
- an antiseptic agent.
- of, relating to, or effecting antisepsis
- entirely free from contamination
- informal lacking spirit or excitement; clinical
- an antiseptic agent or substance
1750, coined from“against” + . Figurative use by 1820. As a noun meaning “an antiseptic substance” by 1803.
- Of, relating to, or producing antisepsis.
- Capable of preventing infection by inhibiting the growth of infectious agents.
- A substance that inhibits the proliferation of infectious agents.
- A substance that inhibits the proliferation of infectious microorganisms.