- pertaining to or of the nature of a spasm; characterized by spasms.
- resembling a spasm or spasms; sudden but brief; sporadic: spasmodic efforts at reform.
- given to or characterized by bursts of excitement.
- preventing or arresting spasms, esp in smooth muscle
- an antispasmodic drug
- taking place in sudden brief spells
- of or characterized by spasms
1681, from Medieval Latin spasmodicus, from Greek spasmodes “of the nature of a spasm,” from spasmos (see ) + -odes “like.”
- Preventing or relieving convulsions or spasms.
- An antispasmodic agent.
- Relating to, affected by, or having the character of a spasm; convulsive.
- Happening intermittently; fitful.
- Given to sudden outbursts of energy or of feeling; excitable.