- a vessel that can be submerged and navigated under water, usually built for warfare and armed with torpedoes or guided missiles.
- something situated or living under the surface of the sea, as a plant or animal.
- Chiefly Northeastern and North Midland U.S. a hero sandwich.
- situated, occurring, operating, or living under the surface of the sea: a submarine mountain.
- of, relating to, or carried on by a submarine or submarines: submarine warfare.
verb (used without object), sub·ma·rined, sub·ma·rin·ing.
- to participate in the operating of a submarine.
- to move or slide under something.
- to be thrown under the steering wheel of the vehicle one is driving during a frontal crash.
- to be thrown out of one’s seat belt in such a crash.
verb (used with object), sub·ma·rined, sub·ma·rin·ing.
- to attack or sink by submarine.
- (of weapons, missiles, etc) designed to combat or destroy submarines
- (of warfare, tactics, etc) against submarines
- a vessel, esp one designed for warfare, capable of operating for protracted periods below the surface of the seaOften shortened to: sub
- of or relating to a submarinea submarine captain
- occurring or situated below the surface of the seaa submarine cable
1640s, from+ (adj.).
“submarine boat,” 1899, from sub is first recorded 1917. Submarine sandwich (1955) so called from the shape of the roll.(adj.). The short form