- Astronomy. the point in the orbit of a heavenly body, especially the moon, or of a man-made satellite at which it is farthest from the earth.Compare .
- the highest or most distant point; climax.
- the point in its orbit around the earth when the moon or an artificial satellite is at its greatest distance from the earthCompare
- the highest point
“point at which the moon is farthest from the earth,” 1590s, from French apogée, from Latin apogaeum, from Greek apogaion, neuter adjective, “away from the earth,” a term from Ptolemaic astronomy, from apo “off, away” (see ) + gaia/ge “earth” (see ). Adjective forms are apogeal, apogean.
- The point farthest from Earth’s center in the orbit of the Moon or an artificial satellite.
- The point in an orbit that is most distant from the body being orbited. Compare aphelion perigee.
In aphelion., the during the of a , such as the , at which it is farthest from the body being orbited. For in the orbiting the , their farthest point from the sun is referred to as