- an instrument, apparatus, or device for a particular purpose or use.
- a piece of equipment, usually operated electrically, especially for use in the home or for performance of domestic chores, as a refrigerator, washing machine, or toaster.
- the act of ; .
- Archaic. a measure; stratagem.
- Obsolete. .
verb (used with object), ap·pli·anced, ap·pli·anc·ing.
- to equip with appliances: a fully applianced kitchen.
- a machine or device, esp an electrical one used domestically
- any piece of equipment having a specific function
- a device fitted to a machine or tool to adapt it for a specific purpose
- another name for a
1560s, “action of putting into use,” from+ . Meaning “instrument, thing applied for a purpose” is from 1590s.
- A dental or surgical device designed to perform a therapeutic or corrective function.