- ornamentation, as a cutout design, that is sewn on to or otherwise applied to a piece of material.
- work so formed.
- a decorative feature, as a sconce, applied to a surface.
verb (used with object), ap·pli·quéd, ap·pli·qué·ing.
- to apply as appliqué to.
- a decoration or trimming of one material sewn or otherwise fixed onto another
- the practice of decorating in this way
verb -qués, -quéing or -quéd
- (tr) to sew or fix (a decoration) on as an appliqué
1841, from French appliqué “work applied or laid on another material,” noun use of past participle of appliquer “to apply” (12c.), from Latin applicare (see ).