- of, like, or containing water; watery: an aqueous solution.
- (of rocks or sediments) formed of matter deposited in or by water.
- of, like, or containing water
- dissolved in wateraqueous ammonia
- (of rocks, deposits, etc) formed from material laid down in water
1640s, from Latin aqua “water” (see ) on analogy of French aqueux “watery” (16c., which, however, is from Late Latin aquosus “abounding in water”). Or by analogy of Latin terreus “earthy,” from terra “earth.” Aqueous humor is the original use in English.
- Relating to, similar to, containing, or dissolved in water; watery.
- Chemistry Relating to or dissolved in water.
- Geology Formed from matter deposited by water. Certain sedimentary rocks, such as limestone, are aqueous.