- Heraldry. the tincture or metal silver.
- something silvery or white.
- Obsolete. .
- like ; silvery white.
- Heraldry. of the tincture or metal a lion argent. :
- variant of , especially before a vowel.
- an archaic or poetic word for
- (as adjective; often postpositive, esp in heraldry)a bend argent
c.1300, “quicksilver, the metal mercury,” from Old French argent (11c.), from Latin argentum “silver, silver work, white money,” from PIE *arg-ent- (cf. Avestan erezata-, Old Persian ardata-, Armenian arcat, Old Irish argat, Breton arc’hant “silver”), from root *arg- “to shine; white,” thus “the shining or white metal, silver” (cf. Greek argos “white,” arguron “silver;” Sanskrit arjuna- “white, shining,” rajata- “silver,” Hittite harki- “white”). Meaning “silver, silver coin” is early 15c. in English; the adjective sense “silver-colored,” late 15c.