- Classical Mythology. a member of the band of men who sailed to Colchis with Jason in the ship Argo in search of the Golden Fleece.
- (sometimes lowercase) a person in quest of something dangerous but rewarding; adventurer.
- a person who moved to California during the gold rush of 1849.
- (lowercase) .
- Greek myth one of the heroes who sailed with Jason in quest of the Golden Fleece
- a person who took part in the Californian gold rush of 1849
- another name for the
“sailor of the Argo,” 1580s (implied in argonautic), from + Greek nautes “sailor” (see ). Adventurers in the California Gold Rush of 1848 were called argonauts (because they sought the golden fleece) by those who stayed home.
In Argo., the companions of in the quest for the . Their ship was the