- being without moisture; extremely dry; parched: arid land; an arid climate.
- barren or unproductive because of lack of moisture: arid farmland.
- lacking interest or imaginativeness; sterile; jejune: an arid treatment of an exciting topic.
- having little or no rain; dry; parched with heat
- devoid of interest
1650s, “dry, parched,” from French aride (15c.) or directly from Latin aridus “dry, arid, parched,” from arere “to be dry,” from PIE root *as- “to burn, glow” (see (n.1)). Figurative sense of “uninteresting” is from 1827. Related: Aridly.
- Very dry, especially having less precipitation than is needed to support most trees or woody plants. Deserts have arid climates.