- the and equipment with which a military unit or military apparatus is supplied.
- a land, sea, or air force equipped for war.
- Usually armaments. military strength collectively: the armaments race; a country without armaments.
- the process of equipping or for war.
- (often plural) the weapon equipment of a military vehicle, ship, or aircraft
- a military force raised and armed ready for war
- preparation for war involving the production of equipment and arms
c.1600, “munitions of war” (especially the great guns on board a man-of-war), also “naval force equipped for war” (1690s), from Latin armamentum “implement,” from Latin armare “to arm, furnish with weapons” from arma (see (n.2)). Meaning “process of equipping for war” is from 1813.