- a with sidepieces or to support a person’s forearms or elbows.
- theorizing without the benefit of practical experience: an armchair football coach.
- participating or experiencing indirectly or vicariously: an armchair traveler.
- a chair, esp an upholstered one, that has side supports for the arms or elbows
- (modifier) taking no active part; lacking practical experience; theoreticalan armchair strategist
- (modifier) participated in away from the place of action or in the homearmchair theatre
also arm-chair, 1630s, from (n.1) + ; adjective sense in reference to “criticism of matters in which the critic takes no active part” is from 1886.