- an odor arising from spices, plants, cooking, etc., especially an agreeable odor; fragrance.
- (of wines and spirits) the odor or bouquet.
- a pervasive characteristic or quality.
- a distinctive usually pleasant smell, esp of spices, wines, and plants
- a subtle pervasive quality or atmosphere
early 13c., “fragrant substance,” from Latin aroma “sweet odor,” from Greek aroma “seasoning, any spice or sweet herb,” of unknown origin. Meaning “fragrance” is from 1814. A hypercorrect plural is aromata.