- Physiology. pertaining to the blood in the pulmonary vein, in the left side of the heart, and in most , having been oxygenated during its passage through the lungs and being normally bright red.
- Anatomy. of, relating to, or resembling the .
- being or constituting a main route, channel, or other course of flow or access, often with many branches: an arterial highway; an arterial drainage system.
- a main route, channel, or other course of flow or access: funds to resurface the main arterials of the city.
- of, relating to, or affecting an artery or arteriesarterial disease
- denoting or relating to the usually bright red reoxygenated blood returning from the lungs or gills that circulates in the arteries
- being a major route, esp one with many minor branchesan arterial road
early 15c., from French artérial (Modern French artériel), from Latin arteria; see .
- Of or relating to one or more arteries or to the entire system of arteries.
- Of, relating to, or being the bright red oxygenated blood in the arteries.