- slyly crafty or cunning; deceitful; tricky: artful schemes.
- skillful or clever in adapting means to ends; ingenious: an artful choice of metaphors and similes.
- done with or characterized by artful acting; artful repairs. or skill:
- Archaic. .
- cunning or tricky
- skilful in achieving a desired end
- archaic characterized by skill or art
- archaic artificial
1610s, “learned, well-versed in the (liberal) arts,” also “characterized by technical skill,” from Artfully; artfulness.(n.) + . Meaning “skilled in adapting means to ends” is from 1739. Related: