- the manner of life, practices, or principles of an .
- the doctrine that a person can attain a high spiritual and moral state by practicing self-denial, self-mortification, and the like.
- rigorous self-denial; extreme abstinence; austerity.
- the behaviour, discipline, or outlook of an ascetic, esp of a religious ascetic
- the principles of ascetic practices, esp in the early Christian Church
- the theory and system of ascetic practices
1640s, from ascetism (c.1850).(adj.) + . Sometimes also
An austere, simple way of life in which persons renounce material pleasures and devote their energy to moral or religious purpose.