- a former silver coin of Turkey and Egypt: later a money of account equal to 1/120 of a piaster.
- harsh; rough.
- a former Turkish monetary unit, a silver coin, worth 1/120 of a piastre
- the venomous snake, probably Naja haje (Egyptian cobra), that caused the death of Cleopatra and was formerly used by the Pharaohs as a symbol of their power over life and deathSee also
- Also called: asp viper a viper, Vipera aspis, that occurs in S Europe and is very similar to but smaller than the adder
- horned asp another name for
- an archaic name for the
poisonous snake, 1520s, earlier aspis (mid-14c.), from Old French aspe (13c.) or directly from Latin aspidem (nominative aspis), from Greek aspis “shield;” the serpent so called probably in reference to its neck hood.
- aspartic acid