- any of various southern European plants of the genera Asphodelus and Asphodeline, of the lily family, having white, pink, or yellow flowers in elongated clusters.
- any of various other plants, as the daffodil.
- any of various S European liliaceous plants of the genera Asphodelus and Asphodeline, having clusters of white or yellow flowersCompare
- any of various other plants, such as the daffodil
- an unidentified flower of Greek legend, probably a narcissus, said to cover the Elysian fields
late 14c., from Latin asphodelus, from Greek asphodelos “asphodel, king’s spear,” of unknown origin (see ). Taken in poetic use for a mythical deathless flower that overspreads the Elysian meadows.
To embathe In nectared lavers strewed with asphodel. [Milton, “Comus,” 1634]