astrachan [as-truh-kuh n, -kan] Examples noun
- (initial capital letter) Horticulture. a tart, usually red or yellow variety of apple.
astrakhan or as·tra·chan [as-truh-kuh n, -kan] noun
- a fur of young lambs, with lustrous, closely curled wool, from Astrakhan.
- Also called astrakhan cloth. a fabric with curled pile resembling astrakhan fur.
Origin of astrakhan First recorded in 1760–70 Examples from the Web for astrachan Historical Examples of astrachan
She got into her little blue jacket, with its neat collar and cuffs of astrachan.
The American marveled at a recently immigrated Slav’s astrachan cap.
The governor of Astrachan had been but too faithful a prophet.
The Governor of Astrachan had been but too faithful a prophet.
Thomas De Quincey
This suburban estimation of personal worth was a confirmation of my conclusion drawn from the rags beneath the astrachan coat.
British Dictionary definitions for astrachan astrakhan noun
- a fur, usually black or grey, made of the closely curled wool of lambs from Astrakhan
- a cloth with curled pile resembling this
- (modifier) made of such fur or clothan astrakhan collar
- a city in SE Russia, on the delta of the Volga River, 21 m (70 ft) below sea level. Pop: 507 000 (2005 est)