- the act of or the state of being .
- the process by which a virus, bacterium, etc., changes under laboratory conditions to become harmless or less virulent.
- Physics. a decrease in a property, as energy, per unit area of a wave or a beam of particles, occurring as the distance from the source increases as a result of absorption, scattering, spreading in three dimensions, etc.
- the act of attenuating or the state of being attenuated
- the loss of energy suffered by radiation as it passes through matter, esp as a result of absorption or scattering
early 15c., of persons, “emaciation;” of diet, “reduction,” from Latin attenuationem (nominative attenuatio) “a lessening,” noun of action from past participle stem of attenuare (see ).
- A dilution, thinning, or weakening of a substance, especially a reduction in the virulence of a pathogen through repeated inoculation, growth in a different culture medium, or exposure to heat, light, air, or other weakening agents.
- The energy loss of an ultrasonic beam as it passes through a material.