- something of little value or importance; a trifle.
- a game played on a board having holes at one end into which balls are to be struck with a cue.
- a short and light musical composition, typically for the piano.
- something of little value or significance; trifle
- a board game in which balls are struck into holes, with pins as obstacles; pinball
- another name for bar billiards
- a short light piece of music, esp for piano
1630s, “a trifle,” from French bagatelle “knick-knack, bauble, trinket” (16c.), from Italian bagatella “a trifle,” diminutive of Latin baca “berry.” As “a piece of light music,” it is attested from 1827.