- a soft, usually green, woolen or cotton fabric resembling felt, used chiefly for the tops of billiard tables.
- an article of this fabric or of a fabric resembling it.
verb (used with object), baized, baiz·ing.
- to line or cover with baize.
- a woollen fabric resembling felt, usually green, used mainly for the tops of billiard tables
- (tr) to line or cover with such fabric
coarse woolen fabric, 1570s, bayse, from French baies, fem. plural of adjective bai “bay-colored,” from Latin badius “chestnut-colored” (see bay (n.4)). Thus probably so called for its original color. French plural taken as a singular in English.